Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Puppy Envy

So those of you who know me know that I’ve wanted to get a dog since FOREVER, but, due to various living situations and circumstances, I haven’t been in a position to get one.  So I arrived at the English Village, and it seemed like EVERYone had a pet!  Dogs and cats abound!  Everything I read before coming here led me to believe that it was just an incredible hassle to have pets here in Korea as an English teacher, but here at EV, it seems to not be a problem at all.  (I’ll have to survey teachers in other schools and cities to see what things are like where they are.)

Exactly 2 weeks into my stay, on Monday, August 15, my friend Caleb surprised us all and came back to EV with the cutest little Yorkie!  I didn’t actually see him come back with the dog, someone else did, but word gets around here faster than it did in high school. LOL

I had to work until 9 that evening, so I went to visit straightaway after clocking out. I start in on a 20 Questions session to find out about how this particular Yorkie came to be the newest EV resident. 

Apparently, there’s a veterinary clinic south of Seoul called Dr. Pet that has animals available for adoption.  And, for the small amount of 50,000KRW, a little Yorkie named Sam joined the ranks with all the other EV mascots.

Later that week, we ventured to the vet to have Sam checked out, and make sure he was a healthy little rascal.  Unfortunately, things did not work out in our favor.  (I like how I just used “our” as if Sam is my dog, too! LOL)  It turns out that Sam had heartworms and needed extensive treatment, which is still in progress as of this blog’s publishing date.






Despite all of this, hanging out with Sam has done nothing to quell the enormous amount of puppy envy that I have.  I almost responded to a post on a website from someone who was moving to Oman and was GIVING AWAY her Yorkie because she couldn’t take it with her.  It was hard to resist, but I did.  Oh well, in the meantime, I have Sam, as well as my Soror’s dog, Bruno (pictured below) to keep me company.







Up Next: Breaking the Mold

No comments:

Post a Comment